Thursday, June 19, 2008

I am not Italian

Anytime I see an Italian walk towards me, I promptly know what is coming. They are about to either ask me a question or start conversing with me. After they finish talking, I give them a blank, confused look back and simply shrug. However, I am not the only one who feels awkward after these exchanges. Usually the Italian person is visibly ashamed for mistaking me as an Italian. This is very understandable, as I am sure that they do not necessarily feel good about not being able to pick out people of their own ethnicity.

The confusing thing about these mishappenings are that I do not dress anything like a young Italian man. I wear tee shirts, shorts, sandals, and walk much differently than them. For the most part, my Italian counter parts dress much sharper and they have a certain sense of style, something I completely lack. As a result, it amazes me that these awkward encounters are still happening on a regular basis.

1 comment:

Jennifer Biedendorf said...

This is a really nice post. How does it feel to be able to pass as Italian?