Tuesday, June 24, 2008

No More Cheap Coffee

Although I was never a heavy coffee drinker in America, I would sometimes need it to survive the long and arduous school days. I never really liked the way in tasted, or how you would have to sip it little by little because it was steaming hot. As a result, I never drank it for enjoyment, instead only out of sheer necessity. In Italy, everything changed. I love the quick shots of espresso and the relatively cheap prices. For a euro, I get all of the artificial energy that I need daily in order to brave the early morning wake-up calls. I also really enjoy the taste and friendly service, which will add to my sadness of no more Italian cafes.

I will miss this in the States. I can not see myself going to Starbucks or another coffee shop and spending a decent chunk of change on coffee I do not even care for. My only worry is that I did not become like many Americans: caffeine dependent. I have had some sort of coffee almost every morning for seven weeks, so it would not be too suprising. But I am still holding out hope that I will be able to survive the nine-to-five workday without the aid of American coffee.

No comments: