Sunday, June 8, 2008

Venice Cafes

While traveling, I feel like it is pointless to sleep well into the morning or early afternoon. You do not go somewhere to see the hotel room you paid for, no matter how nice or expensive it is. However, while believing this, I must admit that I am a horrible morning person. During the school year, I purposely schedule late classes so I never feel tired. This may sound horrible, but I chose many of my classes based on what time they started. Like most college kids, I like staying up late, and waking up late.

When traveling in Italy, all I need is a shot of espresso and I am good for the morning session. When I get in trouble, another shot is the easy cure. In Rome, there are multiple cafes on every street. There are so many, that you even wonder how they turn any profit. You simply walk to the counter, order a coffee, and stand there and quickly drink one. It is a simple yet effective process.

However, in Venice, we encountered a minor problem: there was a serious lack of walk-in cafes. Venice is a notoriously expensive city, and the coffee was no exception. Most places forced you to order more than just a coffee. They wanted you to buy food too, and tried to compel you to pay for a seat. As a result, I had to walk around for hours without any caffeine in my system. I never used to be an addict, but after so many early morning wake-up calls in Rome, I became somewhat dependent on caffeine. While walking around Venice, I was rather groggy and my mind did not seem to be quite as sharp. I tired quickly, so the only option I had was to buy two-euro Cokes. Needless to say, Rome has made me a coffee fanatic.

No comments: