Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Vatican Museum

It took a little over a month and a half, but I finally made my way to the Vatican Museum. It was one of the hotter days of the summer, and the walk was far. By the time I finally entered, I was dripping sweat and anxious to enter the air-conditioned halls. After rinsing the sweat off my face in the bathroom, I was prepared to begin my expedition through one of the most famous museums in the world.

I did not go until later in the afternoon, so the crowd was extremely managable. I could easily maneuver through the halls and was never pushed around. Although many guidebooks suggest going early in the morning, I would actually suggest going in the late afternoon.

The museum lived up to all of my hype. There was so much amazing artwork that it was almost overwhelming. Everywhere I turned something grabbed my attention. As a result, it took nearly three hours to explore the entire museum. I would also strongly suggest the purchase of the audio tour. Nearly every piece of art has a story, and the audio guide does an excellent job of explaining these stories.

No comments: