Thursday, May 22, 2008

Analyzing the Romans

I have fallen into a routine with my favorite cafe, but I am curious to see how the actual Italians approach these shops, particular in the morning. Every now and then, I change it up a bit and get a cafe latte. The lattes are great at Gi-Ma, they fill it with whipped cream and then pour some chocolate syrup on the top which makes for quite the delectable shot of energy that I need in order to scrape by the early morning sessions. However, I go there basically every day during the week and I have not seen one Italian order anything other than espressos. This intriques me, as I thought everyone loves a little variety in life, but thus far I have not seen them stray away from their ways. Maybe I have just been there at bad times, but I wonder if they do drink anything else. One of these mornings, I am going to sit there for an extended period of time and really analyze what they eat and drink and how the interact with the workers.

On a positive note about the cafe, the woman behind the counter who works there every morning has begun to recognize us. Every morning, she shoots us a wide smile and tries to converse with us as much as possible. I know that has the days and weeks pass we will become even more familiar with each other.

No comments: