Thursday, May 22, 2008

Shelter

For the last three-four days, Rome has been bombarded with sudden down-pours and perpetual cloudy skies. Before coming, I was expecting every day to be filled with sunshine and sweltering heat, but so far it has been semi-cool and overcast. I am not complaining about the temperature, but I would like to see the sun a little more. This weather has directly influenced the number of people who go in to the Gi-Ma Cafe during the days. Last week, there was always a steady flow of customers who would come in and out quickly to get a quick bite or coffee. But this week, the afternoon rainstorms has meant that there have been more people packed inside Gi-Ma because they are seeking shelter from the horrendous weather. Instead of being able to casually stroll to the counter and order something, I need to wiggle my way in and stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the people on both sides of me as I eat. Although this has made my lunch a little more hectic, I am sure the owners of the cafe do not mind this weather because it means more business for them.

No comments: