Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Soccer Game

While watching the Roma game in the street, an Italian man wearing a maroon and gold Roma shirt approached Cole, Brian, and I and started asking us questions about what had happened in the game thus far. This seemed unusual to me, as clearly we look like Americans by the way we dress, walk, act, and even stand, so why out of a crowd of nearly 100 people in the street would he ask us? Then it hit me, I look like a citizen here. So far, multiple times random Romans at bars, on the tram, or on the streets have tried having a civilized chat with me, the only problem is that I do not know the language. After they find this out, they typically roll their eyes and turn around in disgust. I am not quite sure yet if they are annoyed at me for being an American or if they are just embarrassed for the mistake. Regardless, because of my looks and if I am dressed appropriately, I know that this misconception will not be uncommon, so at least this will give me some practice in cross-language conversation.

No comments: