Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Vatican

Today while at the Vatican, which is spectacular by the way, I experienced different type of Roman congestion: the hoardes of tourists waiting in line at the entrance to the smallest country in the world. When we first got to the Vatican at around 9 AM, it was not quite pakced yet so we were able to move around freely and see everything without many problems. However, after some of us were finished walking around the tombs of the popes, we walked outside but made a wrong turn somewhere. Because of the error, we ended up outside of the Vatican and in order to get back in we had to wait in a line that almost reached to the entrance of the city. I wanted to go back in, so I figured that the line would move somewhat swiftly but I was wrong. As more and more people began piling up behind me, I was overwhelmed but the amount of different languages that were being spoken and the sheer volume of people in a condensed area. After realizing that the line was moving at the speed of a slow crawl, I finally gave up and headed home. At least I know I will go back there soon to see everything, so I was not too upset.

No comments: