Sunday, May 18, 2008

My new love

The coolest part about Rome to me so far is the cafes, which offer delicious coffee, quick service with a smile, and generally friendly banter between the server and I. Of course, I do not speak much Italian so our conversations are usually choppy and feature lots of hand motioning. Although the friendliness is a nice aspect to these places, it is unimportant because the crown jewel of these little shops is the coffee. My taste buds experience sheer bliss with each sip of an espresso or cafe latte. Although small, only about 2-3 inches high, the taste of an espresso would make any American coffee aficionado profess his undying love for Italian cafes. After going to these places, I do not think that I will ever be able to go to a Starbucks or American coffee shop again. Unlike those places, these shops are generally fairly priced and offer scrumptious food also. As a result, I am going to frequent the same café and observe the everyday happenings. Hopefully I will be able to analyze the daily interactions that occur in the café for both the average Italian looking for some morning coffee and us students.

No comments: