Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Food Differences

Growing up in a completely Italian household has made me love pasta, meatballs, sausage, pork, and everything that we think of as Italian food. However, after arriving in Rome I realized fairly quickly that Italian food in Rome is not very similar to the American version. Here, there are no meatballs, I have seen sausage only on a few menus, and there is no such thing as chicken or veal parmesan. In Rome, the typical choices for food is some variation of pasta, pizza with exotic toppings, or a panini. To go along with this, most of the panini stands and shops offer only one type of meat, prosciutto. As a result, before going to Germany I was craving some delicious meat filled platters that I could gorge.

In Germany, we would stop at basically every vendor and restaurant that we saw to partake in some gluttony. All of the food was incredible. The potatoes were crispy. The sausages were tender and moist. It was everything I hope it would be. Not eating enough meat for two weeks as left me craving protein, so Germany was the perfect cure for this. I ate so much schnitzle, sausages, and brats that hopefully it should hold me for at least a couple more weeks. Until then, it is back to my diet of Italian foods.

No comments: