Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Morning Commute

Yesterday morning, I actually slept later than 6:30 which was a first for me this trip. However, the ramifacation of sleeping-in meant that I actually had to take the tram for the first time in the morning. I did not think this would be a problem, but as I waited at the stop and saw the tram pull closer and closer to me, I quickly realized how crowded they get during the morning rush hour. Trying to squeeze in was extremely difficult as there were not many places to move or stand. It was almost like everyone was playing human Tetris, just tryng to fit their bodies into tight spaces somehow. To make matters worse, the roads were full of traffic, so the tram took about 20 minuntes to get to the last stop. Also, we are one of the earlier stops, so as the trip progressed it got more and more crowded. Finally, we reached the end and I got off the tram with sweat tripping down my face. With so many people there, it got extremely hot and uncomfortable. I have been on congested public transportation vehicles before, like the Philadelphia and NYC subways, but there were so many people crammed in that I actually felt uneasy. Needless to say, from now on I am going to try my best to continue waking up early instead of having to deal with jam-packed tram.

No comments: